Thursday, April 26, 2018

ARC review: The Queen Underneath


Here is my review for an ARC of The Queen Underneath by Stacey Filak 😄

** 4.3/5 ⭐ **

- I received an ARC from publisher in exchange for review -

This novel really surprised me. I was not sure what to expect from it, but I adored the journey throughout the majority of the story. Gemma is a strong character, and enjoyable to follow. She is passionate, and a true leader. As the perspectives switch among the various characters in their misfit group of friends, I also enjoyed hearing from Tollan (the King of the Above world) and his friend, Wince. Their contrasting views on society offered comedy and insightful to the plot. Each of these characters face their own type of adversity, and their reactions and thoughts are vibrant demonstrations of their growth.

The setting combination of two very contrasting worlds was refreshing to read about, and the magical elements throughout the novel will appeal to many YA fans. The various relationships, and surprising family ties, are very engaging. The only thing that I would change is slowing down some of the intense situations, in order to really describe the event and feelings. There were moments in the story that I thought could have been more in depth and

The rating on the ARC copy is 17+ and I do agree with that, if not even a bit higher of an age suggestion. There is a range of sensitive content, from sexual to a hint of torture, that might be surprising and uncomfortable for some readers.