Wednesday, September 5, 2018

ARC Reviews: Wicked King by Holly Black & Rule by Ellen Goodlett


Good morning lovelies! I have two very exciting reviews to share with you, of two of the biggest upcoming YA releases:


Wicked King by Holly Black

If you know me, then you would know how much I ADORED The Cruel Prince by Holly Black - the fantasy realm, the bold and ruthless main characters, and the hint of a brewing love story all contributed to make it one of my favourite books of the year. This past month I had the incredible opportunity to review the second in the series, and here's what I thought:


* received an ARC from publisher in exchange for honest review *

RATING: 4.5/5 stars

The Wicked King starts out about 5 months into Carden's reign under Jude's control, and the dark powers of the Faerie Realm are still as prominent as before. Jude has new challenges to face as enemies emerge, and not everyone is as trustworthy as they claim.

I will admit, the first part of the book I found slower, a bit less engaging than I expected. It was important to develop new characters in that time, but I was hoping for a more fast paced plot. As the novel continued, my thoughts changed completely as the situations became more intense, and threats became more serious.

My favourite part about The Wicked King was the never-ending plot twists. The betrayals were unexpected and abundant, each more dangerous than the next. They added so much suspense, hooking readers and pulling them into the story. The emotions of heartbreak and surprise after each devious decision were raw and genuine with the characters, and the descriptions for each were written with grit and passion.

Jude's character disappointed me a bit in this book. Her impulsive actions seemed immature for her ruthless nature, and her decision making was rushed. However, I grew more fond of Carden as the story continued. He becomes more than just a pretty face as his complex character grows, especially in the second half of the book. As his reign continues, he becomes bolder, and more sure of his actions, transitioning into a daring leader.

Finally, just when readers think that they will survive this novel, *BOOM*, a massive cliffhanger ending forcing another agonizing wait to find out what happens next. Well done Ms. Holly Black, you've done it again.



Rule by Ellen Goodlett


* received an ARC from publisher in exchange for honest review *

RATING: 4.75/5 stars

For fans of Three Dark Crowns, and Pretty Little Liars, I highly recommend this title. This fast paced fantasy with a murdeous mix was engaging and bold from the first page. With deadly secrets threatening to expose them, Ren, Zofi, and Akeylah must quickly learn who is an ally, and who is just out for royal blood.

The main characters were one of my favourite parts of Rule. Each character's POV was unique and well written, describing different traits and ways of thinking that reflect that character. I loved the variety of upbringings that each sister had experienced, leading them to have all different perceptions about the future of Kolonya and the other Reaches. There are not often diverse characters in fantasy novels, so it was great to read about.

The setting was a bold fantasy land with a violent history. I love the differing terrain in each outer Reach, and along with that, the unique ways of life. With the threat of rebel forces forming, there were various moments of suspense and anticipation in the novel, increasing the anticipation for readers. Finally, an intense cliffhanger ending will keep readers eagerly awaiting the next book - I know I am excited for the next now!


The noble court is a difficult social game to master, and these three newly crowned princesses learn just how far some members are willing to go.


Thank you HBG Canada for the review copies!