Saturday, October 13, 2018

ARC Review: Beneath the Citadel by Destiny Soria



Good afternoon lovelies

I am here with a review of my recent read, Beneath the Citadel by Destiny Soria! This dark and magical story was a blend of Six of Crows and dark magic, and I was surprised how much I really liked it.


Rating: 4.5/5

Review:

This novel is a dark tale following five main characters and their attempt to overthrow the current government, continuing the rebellion that their parents had worked hard to start. The POV's switch to each character, and are rotated between present and past situations. That writing method I found a bit annoying at first, but it truly keeps the reader engaged as they want to find out what happens next.

My favourite character was Cassa. She was determined to finish off the Citadel council, just like how the council killed her parents 4 years ago. Her perseverance was evident throughout, but she also made incredible sacrifices. Evander was the other character I really liked. His relationships kept him going throughout, and he was a true fighter.

I loved the setting in this novel. The differing wards for each status level were described well. The prisons were dark and menacing, and the inside of the citadel had a feeling of forgotten royalty. The twists and turns in the novel were also very well done. With the varying characters each wanting something slightly different, readers did not who to trust, and it kept them guessing to the end. I found the beginning a bit slow, the changing POV's made it difficult to connect to a character. However, it picked up in the middle and the ending was heartbreaking but beautiful.