Thursday, June 14, 2018

Most Recent Reviews!


Hey lovelies! I thought I would share some of my recent reads & reviews with you!
If you read any of these, or would like to chat about them, feel free to comment below or message me 💙

Onyx & Ivory by Mindee Arnett (June 14th) - 4/5 ⭐

I was not sure what to expect from this novel, but I was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed it.

After a bit of a slow start in terms of the pace, the characters - especially Kate, became very intriguing, drawing readers into every page. Corwin's and Kate's perspectives were engaging to read about, and it was enjoyable to read about their relationship, and how it was mended throughout the novel. Readers truly felt their emotions,understood their thoughts, and felt their struggles during conflicts. It was also exciting to see a traitor girl save a prince - not a very common plot detail in YA fantasy, and I enjoyed that.

The magical features throughout Rima were some of my favourite parts. These unique and mystical features distinguish this book from other fantasy novels. Wilder's (humans with rogue magical powers) were my personal favourite - each ability was so unique, and fantasy lovers will enjoy the ruthless drakes (dragon-like creatures).

Overall, I am excited to read more by Mindee Arnett, and I cannot wait for the next in the Rime Chronicles series!


Royals by Rachel Hawkins (June 6th) - 4.5/5 ⭐

I absolutely adored this fun novel. The characters were unique, comical, and had quirky elements to each of them. It was enjoyable to read about such a laid back girl (and her American family) become the spotlight in traditional European tabloids. Daisy was strong willed, and determined to not let the Scottish royal lifestyle change her, and I admired her witty humour. The supporting characters were also extremely fun to read about - for example, the 'Royal Wreckers' were always entertaining, adding a flair of comic relief to the story. Furthermore, the strong family ties that Daisy, her sister Ellie, and her parents share keep the close-knit family together throughout the novel.
One of my favourite parts of the book was the setting. The descriptions of Scotland's cities, highlands, and palaces were very well done, and ensured readers were immersed in the story. I found myself easily visualizing how the lush green mountains looked, or grand castles filled with endless trinkets and portraits.

I am big fan of Rachel's writing, and look forward to reading more of her stories. If you are in the mood for a cute, royal romance, I highly recommend!


Sky in the Deep by Adrienne Young (May 31st) - 5/5 ⭐

This novel absolutely blew me away. I did not know what to expect from it, but I found Adrienne's writing style engaging, and kept readers on the edge of their seats. The unique setting was described in vivid detail, and added to the story's development.


Eelyn's character is strong willed, determined, and proud of her clan, Aska. Her passion for fighting for herself, and for others, is evident throughout, leading readers to experience her heartfelt emotions firsthand. As she struggles to survive across enemy lines, Eelyn balances trusting Iri - the brother she thought had died, and his companion Fiske, and trusting her heart. With gruesome duels and an action packed plot, readers will be completely immersed in this vibrant Viking world.


From Twinkle, With Love by Sandhya Menon (May 26th) - 4.75/5 ⭐

'From Twinkle, With Love' tells the story of aspiring filmmaker Twinkle, and her journey through her first experiences of love, heartbreak, and how the power of friendship can overcome even the greatest pain.

I absolutely adored this novel, from the characters to the plot, and even the family struggles. Sahil's character was probably my favourite, loyal from the first page, and an honest friend to Twinkle when she needed someone to confide to. When individuals read his point of view, it is a true teenage guy perspective, and made the story feel real.

In terms of Twinkle's development, her growth as a leader, friend, and a person were impressively written.Twinkle's unsteady relationship with her ex-best friend added to the drama she dealt with, but also offered her motivation to keep persevering with the film.  In times of anger, her strong and aggressive outbursts kept the reader engaged and amused, and helped express the raw emotions Twinkle was feeling. As she balanced re-inventing herself, while not losing who she was, Twinkle truly learned what she valued most in life, and who she wanted to be as a person.

The writing style fluctuated between journal entries, text messages, and notes between friends, and that added to the contemporary feeling of the book. This was the first novel I read in this writing form, and was so impressed with it.

 Overall, I would highly recommend this novel to young adults, and contemporary fans in general.

-----

Hope you enjoyed my thoughts on these novels, and feel free to catch up on all my reviews under the "Reviews" Page!