Thursday, June 28, 2018

Wildcard by Marie Lu Review



Hello lovelies!

Penguin Teen Canada graciously sent me a copy of Wildcard by Marie Lu (the sequel to Warcross), and I wanted to share my thoughts on it with you guys!

I read the ARC last week and I LOVED IT. I finished it in 2 days, it had me hooked from the first page. Lu's writing style is engaging and fast paced, and fans of Warcross will be pleased with the continuation of plot twists and dark secrets.

The story picks up shortly after the first book ended, and follows Emika Chen as she faces new challenges as she works to dismantle the new NeuroLink algorithm. Her emotions are vividly described, and readers will feel her pain, sadness, and happiness as the novel continues. She joins Zero and the Blackcoats, which leads to more struggles for Emika - and those close to her.

Hideo and Emika's relationship in this novel is one of my favourite plot lines in the novel. The way they feel for each other is evident throughout, creating friction at times and passion at others. Both characters attempt balance their personal goals and their desire to support their partner, further emphasizing the conflicting feelings that they have. I would've preferred a more definitive or explicit conclusion with how their relationship ended, but I am still pleased with the current one.

Jax's character quickly became one of my favourites also. The development around her backstory was rich and complex, pulling readers in further. Her strong attitude and rebellious features are important qualities that ultimately change the path of the story. Sasuke's story also was perfectly tangled in - with added pieces of heartbreak and heartwarming moments that made the story feel real.

Overall, the novel was amazing, and I cannot give Marie Lu and her team enough praise. I am excited to hear other people's reactions once it is released!

Emika print and bookmark from @cushycrate May box
Candle from @wickandfable